Saturday 7 March 2009

Road to Cazenga, a brief update...

Three weeks! Doesn't sound like much in the scheme of things and bugger all in comparison to the rest of the world (I am reading Professor Hawkins' 'A Brief History of Time') but to me it is an awe inspiring achievement the keen significance of which is only slightly dulled because I have found it so ridiculously easy.

Dear old Dr Abel, the man who since I met him had been warning me of my imminent departure if I failed to cut down on the booze and cigarettes has been visiting me frequently (even my office provided no sanctuary) and when he heard I was back from Kenya and Dubai, was here the next day (today) to check on me. Having enjoyed a hefty lunch and one of my last bottles of decent wine, he is now sleeping it off in one of the guest bedrooms. Heal thyself, physician...

He and Kieren, who were evidently worried that such a sudden end to a constant and significant intake of alcohol would leave me dribbling and screaming in a foetal ball in some corner of the closet, respectively advised me to take Diazapam or a collection of vitamin and other drugs resembling an exploded Smarties bag but I am sure neither are disappointed to learn that I require no supplements of any kind.

Exactly why this should be, I have no idea and shall not question my good fortune either. I am happy and the family, as well as those who still care about me appear ecstatic. This is all the support I need. I shall not let them down.

This is, I admit, a very brief post but what more should I say? Count yourself lucky, dear reader, had I been a real case, you would have had to endure page after page of self recrimination and the ravings of a paranoid schizo...

Now, if you will excuse me, I must spray a whole can of Sheltox into the bedroom to kill all the little green men with horrible teeth and long, deformed claws that are waiting for me under the bed.

14 comments:

  1. Don't know you from Adam, but you got fortitude! And that's all that F'in counts!

    Keep On, Keepin ON!!!

    Regards,
    Albert A Rasch
    The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
    The Rasch Reviews: Tactical
    Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit
    Southeast Regional OBS Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a business phone call that happened at the wrong time between time zones (Gauteng and somewhere else nameless but far on the clock), I think I may give it a chance as well.

    Not getting any younger. No harm in trying, aye? Could get me back in Africa instead of people warning me off for my own sake. Sounds an odd proposition, but I've done stranger things and it might make the world smoother. Odd pint now and again watching ruggers would still be nice, though. I don't talk to doctors or get house visits from them so I'm not sure if that's something that people would scream at me for for being stupid.

    Thanks for giving me a thought process I may investigate, anyway. I suppose this is one of those "experiential learning" sorts of things.

    Some Anonymous Mouse who is rather impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Anonymous, since I am the last one to take advice, I should be retiscent about giving it. All I can say is that with the right mind set, it is easy. Just stop pouring it down your throat and know deep in your heart you can quit. Then all you have to do is keep busy. Go for 24 hours without booze, then go for two, then the week etc. The first couple of days are critical so mentally keep telling yourself you can do it. Get past the first week and then you really will know you can do it and it gets easier and easier and any pain is more than compensated by how good you will feel about yourself and how others will respect you for what you are doing. The family will love you.

    Courage, Mon Ami!

    ps: if you do crack a week, for fuck's sake don't celebrate with a well earned scotch!!!

    pps: pouring it down the sink helped me steel myself. If I had the guts to do that, then I had the guts for anything. It helps not to have any lying around. If you do, the demons will get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the anonymouse above, do I see perhaps a Triumph Stag or something else interesting and suitable for fun on the roads of Angola coming in your now different future? Be no danger to others, aye? Just the bank account.

    Still sorting my own plans but thanks for the words.

    Best of luck,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hippo,

    Sounds like you are on the track! You just keep at it, and look, it seems like you are inspiring others!

    Finest Regards,
    Albert A Rasch
    The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
    The Range Reviews: Tactical
    Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing blog dude, i really had loads to do but I've spent most of the afternoon reading about your stuff rather than doing mine. Opps

    Congratulations on your easy transition and the way you've written about it.

    SBW
    PS I see albert has made it here before me, he gets everywhere, be sure to read some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hippo
    Gave you a mention/big up on this mornings blog post
    http://suburbanbushwacker.blogspot.com/2009/03/this-weekends-recommended-reading.html
    Hope you like it
    SBW

    ReplyDelete
  8. lieb andy,

    mike istbei mir und ich kann dir ein gruß schicken. I ch hoofe du bist gesund und munter, und Marcia und den kinder geht es gut.
    Wir hatten ein schones Osterfest und ich gruße dich gannz lieb.

    granny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom, Paul Schmidt here, long time no see!
    I am back in Angola for another two year stint and would like to catch up for a vino or something stronger!
    I understand you still haunt these parts and are now a fixture of the local literati and farming scene.
    If you´d you like to catch up, just propose a time and place (except I am off back to NZ next week for a week or so..).
    Am still on my old email of p_f_schmidt@hotmail.com



    Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you.



    Cheers

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hippo, how are you getting on?? The world demands an update!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with henry, we need an update
    SBW

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm quite shure were in the first step, I recognize the symptoms. You don't know, how helpfull, have been. thank's

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always were brave Tom. Look upon it as another adventure. Finding out what you were hiding in the bottle is the key. It will be a part of yourself, which, when revealed, means you can have a drink for the sake of a drink and not for what it does.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow such a detailed blog i bumped onto this blog while looking for African safari blogs. i must say it is an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, good or bad. I will allow anything that isn't truly offensive to any other commentator. Me? You can slag me without mercy but try and be witty while you are about it.